I would be lying if I said that I wasn’t envious of all of the parents that get to stay home with their kids during the summer months. There is nothing worse than waking up on Tuesday morning with the sun shining and the birds chirping while I have to get myself ready to head to work. Don’t get me wrong, I do love my job and I am very grateful for all of the opportunities I have been blessed with where I’m at, but there is still a large part of me that wishes I was able to spend that beautiful day with my kids and my husband. Instead I head to work and envy the sunshine from inside of my office. If you too feel a similar way, I have a few quick words of advice for making the most of your summer with your family as a working parent.
- Make a list of your goals & organize them. Make a list of the things you want to do as a family over the summer, (no really, I mean write them down). Once you have your list of what you want to do, check the availability on your calendar and start filling it. I like to see what weekends we have both of the boys so that we are able to plan family events.
- Evaluate paid time off/ Vacation time. If you are able to use some of your PTO or vacation time to plan some family fun, DO IT! Life is short, and you only get 18 summers with those kiddos.
- Stay involved. Nothing screams regret like a summer full of sitting on your phone or not spending time involved with your kids. Last weekend my kids double dog dared me to jump into the freezing water, so what did I do? I did something that is completely NOT like me, and did a cannonball into the water. Did it take my breath away? Of course. Was it worth it? Of course. My kids thought it was the coolest thing, and honestly- it’s the things like that which make summer SO MUCH FUN.
- Don’t be afraid to do “too much”. What I mean by this is that your “down time” is typically your week nights. Since you have to work the next day you are obviously not planning anything too fun during the Monday-Thursday nights. Because of this, don’t be afraid to jam-pack your weekends. Being exhausted on Sunday is fine, it’s the memories that count. We like to see as many people as we can, and do as much as possible (even if that means just camping for the entire weekend and going out on the boat).
Y’all, summertime is my favorite time. There are so many fun things to do, and it seems like the shortest period out of the year. We are really looking forward to taking the camper out this weekend for the first of many trips, and hoping for good weather so that we can hang out on the boat!
I’m going to link a few of my favorite summer time accessories thus far for us/the kids.
- Que Water Bottles- These are awesome collapsible water bottles that really don’t take up too much space. They keep the boys drinks cold! The company supports both national and San Francisco Bay area local non profit organizations to help raise awareness about the environment and they are also huge supporters in finding and promoting sustainable practices to help keep our Earth clean!
Here is a link for 20% off! I highly recommend these to ANYONE and everyone!
- I just recently bought the boys these WEKAPO Inflatable Air Sofa Hammock when I got online looking for camping gear. These things are THE BEES KNEES and I highly suggest for kids and adults alike. It’s portable, easy to store, you can use it anywhere AND IT FLOATS IN WATER! We ordered ours here, on Amazon.
- Last but certainly not least, there is a Limitless Learners Contest going on through Education.com. This gives kids grades K-5th the opportunity to win $500 for college and also win $1,000 for a library or school! All you have to do is fill out a form (yes mom and dad, they need your signed permission to enter), and then go to this website to see what project your child will be doing depending on their grade. This is a fun way to get a jump start on any education costs that may come your way in the upcoming years, as well as a chance for your child to help a local library or their school. It really doesn’t get any better than that.
I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend, we will be back next week with an update from our first camping adventure as well as some other new content. Keep an eye on your emails because tonight I will be randomly drawing the winner of the “Partners in Wine” glasses! Happy weekend (almost)!
Until next time,